Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Asics DS Racer 10 & Adidas Supernova Riot 6

One of my favorite shoes last year was the Asics Hyper Speed 6. It was one of those shoes that matched my personal preferences almost perfectly: lightweight, softish heel, responsive forefoot, simple construction. Just a great, all-around shoe.
Based on my experience with the Hyper Speed, I decided to pick up a pair of the Asics DS Racer 10  – they were a bargain at Running Warehouse as a new color was coming out. The DS Racers sat in the box un-worn for several months, and I finally took them out back in early June (wish I’d done so sooner!). I’ve run most of my road miles since then in the Racers, and to be honest, I’m having a hard time wanting to run in anything else. Like the Hyper Speed, they feel like a shoe that was designed specifically for me.

Specs

The DS Racer weighs in at 6.3 oz in men’s size 9, so it’s a very light shoe – less than an ounce heavier than the Hyper Speed. It has stack heights of 23mm in the heel, and 15 mm in the forefoot, but it feels less than an 8mm drop shoe to me.

Upper and Fit

The upper of the DS Racer is pretty simple – a nice, breathable mesh supported by welded overlays. The mesh feels a bit less stretchy than that of the Hyperspeed, and the fit may be just a tad snugger around the foot. However, for a racing flat I find the fit of the DS Racer to be fairly accommodating and have not felt the need for extra space up in the forefoot for my toes (I have an average width foot). Fit around the midfoot and heel is nice and snug for a good lock-down.

I’ve run in a lot of good shoes lately, and have many more that I’m testing for review later this summer/fall. In light of all of the reviews coming down the pipe, I thought it might be best do a review of the adidas Supernova Riot 6.

Specs

Riot 6 – 355 g (12.5 oz) in my size 13; 303 g (10.7 oz) in size 9 according to adidas. 10mm drop.

Uppers and Fit

Both shoes are, as far as I know, designed on the same last that is used in adidas’ Supernova Glide and Sequence road shoes. The fit is medium in the heel, fairly snug in the midfoot, and while medium width in forefoot compared to most shoes on the market, they are wider than adidas’ adizero road lineup that more runners are familiar with (think adios boost).

Conclusions

The Riot 6 has some drawbacks for me, particularly the softer/airy ride, and an upper that doesn’t fit quite right.  With regard to the Riot 6, which is available on Zappos and discounted at Leftlane Sports, I’d suggest waiting for the Boost trail models to hit the market (particularly the Response TR, which handles everything the Riot does with a more comfortable upper, deeper lugs and more responsive midsole; review coming very soon).

The Asics DS Racer 10 is easily among the top shoes I have run in so far this year. It’s not a newly released shoe, but it’s one that I wish I had tried sooner. If you’re looking for a lightweight racer that can also handle longer runs, it’s definitely worth a look. Great shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment